Thursday, March 1, 2007

The case for a new Freedom's journal

(Vol. 1, Issue 1)
Friends, Family, Netizens

New Freedom's Journal

Exists in large part because of my desire to learn more about my own culture and history. The dearth of material available about the Afro-American press and its history forced my hand. In order to truly find relevant articles or news sources that provide a uniquely Afro-American experience, I realized, that I would have to create my own.

The name of New Freedom's Journal is taken from the original endeavor of an Afro-American paper established in 1827. Freedom's Journal made history as America's first black newspaper. The original Freedom's Journal lasted only two years but I find it refreshing that it's legacy remains today. Hence this editorial.

My hopes for this blog include a change of design to reflect a news oriented focus. I hope to encourage other Afro-American writers, students, teachers, scientists or just anyone in general to contribute content to this space. What prompted this desire to build a useful legacy?

Several reasons have lead to the existence of New Freedoms Journal -
  1. Recent exposure to the growing diverse cultures in New York City have made me keenly aware of my lack of knowledge of my own history and culture
  2. I noticed that a well known site removed some of my postings that simply made the case that Afro-Americans were smart and articulate, unlike what others were portraying us as (in a derogatory fashion)
  3. The ability to speak truth to power invites the individual to stand up and be counted
  4. Recent exposure to blog writing has encouraged me to explore topics that I consider important
  5. Journalism is one short step from blogging
  6. To encourage others in the quest for knowledge of oneself and ones' history
For more information on the original Freedom's Journal please consider the following links:

Antebellum Black Newspapers
The Story of Freedom's Journal
Freedom's Journal Archive (Vol. 1)
Freedom's Journal Archive (Vol. 2)

No comments: