Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Importance of Language as Culture

Wolof Tama player, Yamar Thiam of the Finnish ...Image via Late

Lately, I have contemplated the concerns of bridging the gap between language and culture. Along these lines I have some pretty strong beliefs. For one, I always think of language as culture.

To my mind language is a powerful tool which in effect binds a group into a shared cultural experience. Language centers around the construction of thoughts. Many of these thoughts produce interlinked concepts which in essence define a people and their culture.

Given this thinking and considering American history it is no wonder that I have some concern that the original culture of new Americans are diffused (if not
totally lost). Since culture has an interesting impact on who we are and in many ways define who we must become then one must see the value in learning (or in some cases relearning) the language of one’s ancestors.

One challenge I have taken up is that of learning Wolof (amongst other languages). The goal is to penetrate the mindset and the culture which was stripped away when my ancestors came to these shores. This is not to say that one should not consider and contribute to the fabric which is the American culture. But, rather its to understand that one must know where one comes from before one can understand where one is going.

Without a foundation the house cannot stand.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really
something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very
broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post,
I will try to get the hang of it!

my website :: bmi calculator female