Thursday, March 1, 2007

Black Riders

As an Afro-American motorcyclist and life member of the American Motorcyclist Association - AMA. I have been finding an interesting correlation between my perceptions of the Black Cowboy in America and that of the Black motorcyclist. The ability to ride any conveyance of one's choice is something that anyone can acquire...

Why then are such facts either under-published or not making it into the pages of our history books?

The answer to this it seems to me is the lack of black publishers having the capacity and audience to publish the material facts. I am pleased to be able to redress this imbalance by submitting this article. I hope that New Freedom's Journal will enable me to cover many of the lesser known topics related to the Afro-American culture.

From a personal perspective, I ride a Suzuki Volusia™ although I have had my eye on the American Rocket III which is produced by Triumph. I find that I am pretty typical among the other black riders that I know. Most riders in general will give their right kidney to help anyone out of a tough situation.

The generosity of motorcyclists may have something to do with the high risks that we take to enjoy our sport. Many riders take time to ride safely and to learn the craft of operating a motorcycle. For anyone out there needing a good and cheap (but effective) safety course check out the Motorcycle Safety Foundation - MSF. In New York try the Motorcycle Safety School - MSS.

On black culture in America - a lot of Afro-American motorcyclists ride for fun, join clubs and support each other. A code of ethics exists to never leave a biker behind. The legacy of black family values comes with each biker making the motorcycle clubs an extension of one's family.

I have been fortunate to travel among these riders. Not only do they ride "well" and "straight" but they also tie into each other in ways that only those who have jumped off a cliff or out of a plane might appreciate. If you choose to ride we'll be waiting.

No comments: