Thursday, March 1, 2007

Thinking outside of the Box

What is it?

A phrase that has come into American society and is used occasionally, especially in business circles. Thinking outside of the box seems to have the general meaning of thinking in an unconventional way. For years I have heard and used the term to describe the application of tactics in business situations.

One recent interview had the respondent stating "What box?!.. I mean what is that box exactly?" I was forced to consider the probability that the term which I understood in large measure might be interpreted in other ways. An alternative pointed out by the respondent was that the "box" might conceivably refer to the ubiquitous "television".

Pertaining to this new realization then, the postulation of the "Box as Television" provides ample fodder for those folks who believe that the Box (TV) deadens the mind. Many feel that television is inherently detrimental to human beings on the physical (exposure to radiation), mental (mind-numbing content) and spiritual (negative images and force-fed commercials for unwanted products) levels.

I count myself among those with this disposition.

Why then do I still own and occasionally view a television?

Old habits die hard but I find myself moving ever closer and with increasing frequency to getting my portion of news content from the Internet. Information is available when and where I want to digest it. I only view those pieces of content that appeal to me. I have millions of channels rather than the normal set of 500-1500 channels that cable users possess.

The bad news is that television is reinventing itself as a medium that is available online.

The good news is that we will not be force-fed any more nonsensical content. If we don't like the content one may do as I have done and begin publishing your own material.

No comments: